Pages

July 1, 2009

Jesus is God, right?


Jesus is God, right?

I say this slightly in jest because for most Christians, its something we say we believe pretty readily but after an conversation I had at church with a guy, I went away wondering about the effectiveness of the message.

Here's how the conversation went down. I met this guy at church (actually one of the pastors brought him to me cause he had "deep philosophical" type questions and his normal go to guy wasn't there) He was taking a course on Islam taught by a Muslim and was wondering about the "First Miracle" of Jesus. Now most people have heard some allegorical teaching on the miracles of Jesus out of the book of John at some point in their lives, and when they do this they often say that Jesus changing water into wine is his "First Miracle". Now while I'm not sure that description is correct, the professor of this particular class was claiming Jesus' first miracle was that he spoke to the wise men that came to see him at his birth. (This is what the Qur'an claims Qur'an 3:46)

Now his original question had to do with how old Jesus was when the wise men came and weather or not his speaking to them would be a miracle (It wouldn't be a miracle if Jesus was say 4 or 5 but it would be if he was 1 or 2) But I was more concerned with the actual content of Jesus' supposed words from the Qur'an (though in my quick search I could not find as a quotation from Jesus; it was only stated about Jesus). His supposed statement to the wise men was "I am the messenger whom Allah has sent."

Now when I was talking to him, I took objection to that phrase. Jesus of the bible never claims to be a "messenger", John does as do the angels when they appear (which is actually the word used to describe angel - angelos in Greek just means messenger) But Jesus claims to be the Son of God, and to be of the same nature of God, and in some way actually God Himself (John 14:7-10, John 10:30, John 14:11, John, 10:37-38, John 17:11- I know these are all from John, John just has the clearest statements about the deity of Christ without needing a whole lot of explanation)

Now had Jesus appeared to the Romans or Buddhists or African Animists, there would have been much less opposition to his claim of being God. They had a plethora of gods, and one more wasn't going to make that much of an uproar. But the Jews had been uniquely prepared by divine revelation to believe only in ONE God. "Hear oh Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is ONE!" So for Jesus to show up and claim he was God... well lets just say there were those who did not receive him as such. So this was an issue that the early Church had to deal with, answering the question that Jesus posed even to his own disciples; "Who do you say that I am?" And they didn't work it all out at once but over many years, through meeting together as a whole much like the apostles did in Acts 15, through prayer, through scripture and through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

So when all the church leaders got together to discuss the answer to the question "Who do you say that I am" they came up with a simple logical argument. "Jesus saved us. Only God can save. Therefore Jesus must have been God." Later councils also confirmed the humanity of Jesus, but without him actually being God, our "salvation" is a moot point and we should all revert back to the Jewish practices of sin management on a national scale.

But this man visibly flinched every time I said Jesus was God. After noticing it the first time I said it, I slipped in a comment about his deity a couple of times to seek if it was a fluke or not, but he had a visible bodily reaction every time. Now here was a guy who seemed moderately educated in the faith and enthusiastic about defending that faith in this class on Islam that he was taking and yet, it finally came out in conversation that he didn't think Jesus was actually God, but that he was just an example for us, and the "Son of God" was more of a title given to him for his righteousness.

Where did we fail this guy? It was obvious he was caught up in some sort of works based theology after talking to him, I think because if Jesus was just an example, then Christianity then becomes about trying (and failing) to live up to that standard, and there's no room for grace. There's no freedom for him, just a different sort of bondage.

Do we focus on the wrong sorts of things in our teaching and our discipleship, telling people to be like Christ and live a Christian life without giving them the understanding of who God is and how that is accomplished though Him in the various roles of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?

There's three questions I always try to fall back on in writing, teaching or studying the word

-Who is God and what is He like?
-What is the Church and what is her purpose? and
-How do we fit into and have relationship with God and His Church?

And I think these are in order of importance (at least for me) that without right knowledge of who he is, the church and our relationship to God and the Church will always be skewed. Classical orthodox christian teaching, especially that which comes from the annals of church history have always seemed important to me and I'm seeing more and more the need to impart that love of the discovery of who God is more and more. People need solid food to grow into mature Christians who know who God is and reflexively know the truth from a lie.

(1025, Dang way over, sorry)

7 comments:

Brandy Daniels said...

Wow, there are a lot of things I could say here....

I definitely agree with you.... I think that the Church has done something wrong when part of the body gets nervous at the idea that Jesus is God...

Some might chalk this up to postmodernism and its everything is relative mentality, but I think this problem in many people, esp. in many church people, struggle with this cause of modernism, of the notion of scientific truth, epistemological claims, etc....

Another thought I had with your blog is that you seem to put two issues together as one..... on one hand, the question of if Jesus is God, and on the other hand, the question of what did Jesus' death on the cross mean.

I am firmly trinitarian and believe that Jesus is indeed God, but I do that without holding to an Anselmian, substitutionary theory of atonement, but rather an Abellardian one.... that is to say, just because Jesus was God doesnt NECESSARILY mean that Christs death on the cross was gods repaying of the debt of our sins... Jesus could be God and be the perfect example (a la Abelard).

There are a lot of different atonement theories throughout the history of the church. It has not been until modernity that the substitutionary theory of atonement has been associated with orthodoxy.

Oh, and finally, does God have to be a He? :)

I know I barely know you but that is my two cents :)

A. T. Elwer said...

"Some might chalk this up to postmodernism and its everything is relative mentality, but I think this problem in many people, esp. in many church people, struggle with this cause of modernism, of the notion of scientific truth, epistemological claims, etc...." - I agree with this, I think many in the church don't have any idea how to think rightly about God, have the tools or framework to think about him, or worse- some how think that using those kinds of intelectual tools to think about the bible is wrong or a sin.

Yes there are two issues- but I only wanted to talk about the one- Jesus being God- as far as the other one, I'll leave how we are saved and what that word even means in the context of scripture for another blog, because push come to shove, some people couldn't explain what "saved" even means :)

And does God have to be a he? Well- God is refered to as a he in scripture, and the human form that Jesus took on was male, but he does have the fullness of the sexes in him. I don't mind using a feminine pronoun for God, but it brings up other problems, and I dont think that impersonal pronouns are appropriate for a sorta super-personal being. Maybe we could come up with a new pronoun just for God... any ideas on that?

Adam Pastor said...

Greetings A. T. Elwer

Indeed Jesus of Nazareth,
the Messiah, claimed to be (and is)
the Son of the Living GOD!
But Jesus never ever claimed to be of the same nature of God, and in some way actually God Himself!!!

And John wrote no such thing either.
John states the purpose of his gospel:
(John 20:31) But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Jesus like every other Jew of his era (and even Jews today) believes in solely ONE GOD, as affirmed by the Shema, Deut 6.4ff.
Jesus affirmed this creed in Mark 12:28ff.

Note the scribe's response:
(Mark 12:32) And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

Obviously then, the scribe did not believe that somehow Jesus was his GOD!?!

Jesus believes in solely ONE GOD (as witnessed by John),
viz. the Father.
(John 17:1) These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, ...
(John 17:3) And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
(See also John 5.44)

(John 20:17) ... I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

[John even penned:
(Rev 3:12) Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

John believed in solely ONE GOD like his Master, Jesus the Messiah!]

So:
John 14.7-10 shows the communion & the unity between the ONE GOD, the Father,
and His Son.
The Father dwells in the Son, & the Son is in the Father.
Still a clear distinction, only One of them is Almighty GOD,
i.e. the Father.


John 10.30 agains speaks of their unity and oneness of purpose.
Now compare John 17.21-22.

John 10.37-38 speaks of the works that the Father is doing in & thru the Son of GOD.

Yes, the Father dwells in the Son, and does the works, John 14.10.

So to see Jesus in action is in actuality, to see the invisible one GOD, the Father, in action!
However, that does not make the Son, Almighty GOD;
but rather makes him the image of the invisible GOD [Col 1.15];
and the ultimate Agent, that GOD Almighty, the Father, worked thru
i.e.
(Acts 2:22) Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by [THROUGH] him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Therefore, A. T. Elwer,
for more info,
I recommend this video:
The Human Jesus


Take a couple of hours to watch it; and prayerfully it will aid you in your quest for truth.

Yours In Messiah
Adam Pastor

Unknown said...

Umm...confusion. Jesus, being the Son of the Trinity, is wholly God and wholly human, right? With Christ's statement in John 8:58-"Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM," Jesus boldly proclaims to be God, for any Jew of that time knew that "I AM" was God. There are plenty of instances which Jesus refers to himself as both God and Son. Is it impossible for him to be both God and Son?

Adam Pastor said...

Is it impossible for him to be both God and Son?

YES!
Because seeing that the Father is GOD
[John 17.3; 1 Cor 8.4,6]

If the Son is also GOD,
that would make 2 GODs;
which is both biblically & scripturally impossible!!

Please watch the video.
It also address John 8.58.

A. T. Elwer said...

I have comments- but I sliced my finger in the table saw today and I am too slow typing with only one hand. They will come soon, or maybe I will try the speech recognition features on my Mac.

Alison said...

wow! quite the post here adam and apparently very needed!