Pages

October 7, 2005

Prayer

Certain thoughts are prayers. There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees.-Victor Hugo
What seem our worst prayers may really be, in God's eyes, our best. Those, I mean, which are least supported by devotional feeling. For these may come from a deeper level than feeling. God sometimes seems to speak to us most intimately when He catches us, as it were, off our guard.-Jack Lewis
The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man.- GK Chesterton
Our passions are not too strong, they are too weak. We are far too easily pleased.-Jack Lewis
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.-Mother Teresa
If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.-Jack Lewis
They say that God is everywhere, and yet we always think of Him as somewhat of a recluse.-Emily Dickinson
Be sure that the ins and outs of your individuality are no mystery to Him; and one day they will no longer be a mystery to you.-JL
God is not proud...He will have us even though we have shown that we prefer everything else to Him.-JL
If these holy places, things, and days cease to remind us, if they obliterate our awareness that all ground is holy and every bush (could we but perceive it) a Burning Bush, then the hallows begin to do harm. Hence both the necessity, and the perennial danger, of 'religion.'-JL
In the Trinity Term of I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England. I did not then see what is now the most shining and obvious thing; the Divine humility which will accept a convert even on such terms. The Prodigal Son at least walked home on his own feet. But who can duly adore that Love which will open the high gates to a prodigal who is brought in kicking, struggling, resentful, and darting his eyes in every direction for a chance of escape?-Jack Lewis

No comments: